The Discover Together Series
March 13, 2018
Collect all of these engaging educational guides for kids!
Through activities and learning tools like stickers, charts, diagrams, and detachable posters, these captivating guides will generate family fun for everyone. Click on each book in the series below to learn more about each title.
A Family Guide to Growing Fruits & Vegetables
By Ben Raskin
Have you ever wondered how plants work? Or why we eat the fruit of one plant, but the leaves of another? What’s the big deal about growing things—and how do we decide what we need to grow in the space we have? Discover the whole life cycle of food, from sowing and saving to planning and planting, and—most exciting of all—harvesting the food you’ve grown. In Grow, you’ll get all the inspiration and knowledge you need to get out there and start planting.
- A visual guide to the world of plants—what they need to grow, how to care for them, and more
- Grow your own pizza! How to plant for a recipe, with fruits and vegetables in pots or a whole vegetable garden
- Pull-out activities including a runner-bean growth chart, a Fruit Pairs game, Rainbow Taste Wheel (turn the dial to find out which vitamins are found in each fruit and vegetable), and four sheets of stickers
A Family Guide to Making Soil from Scraps
By Ben Raskin
What happens to the food we don’t eat—all those discarded apple cores and rejected Brussels sprouts? Did you know that there are as many living organisms in a teaspoon of soil as there are people in the whole world? And that wriggly worms are our cool, earthy friends?
In Compost, Ben Raskin shares his expert knowledge, answering these questions and many more, through a whole heap of engaging activities and games. Teach your kids that composting is fun (and stop them from moaning about emptying the compost bucket) with this funky guide that takes you from compost menus—who knew worms were gourmands?—to Worms and Ladders, a fresh take on a traditional board game. Find out the rules for setting up your very own Worm Lovers’ Society, learn all about the garden-to-plate cycle together, and get your family's feet firmly set on the road to a planet-friendly lifestyle.
Bees, Bugs, and Butterflies
A Family Guide to Our Garden Heroes and Helpers
By Ben Raskin
Get an up-close look at the buzzing, fluttering, and squirming life teeming in your garden. Bees, Bugs & Butterflies explores the world of pollinators—the bugs that help plants thrive. Discover ways to attract the fascinating creatures that pollinate your fruits and vegetables, control pests and diseases, and even get rid of your organic trash. Learn how to create an environment friendly to butterflies, bees, ants, and bats; build habitats for garden allies like ladybugs and lacewings; and gain an appreciation for the complex food web right outside your door.
- A visual guide to how bugs, bees, and butterflies can help your garden grow
- How to build a bug apartment block and other hands-on projects to help your garden thrive
- Pull-out activities, including a Garden Heroes game, a Pollinator’s Wheel (turn the dial to match the plants to their pollinators), a beetle mask, and four sheets of stickers
A Family Guide to the Night Sky
By Adam Ford
Who isn’t fascinated by the sheer size of the universe? Stars offers a straightforward guide to what we know and how we know it—from the Big Bang to star nurseries to the beginnings of life on planet Earth.
Find out why you can’t draw a diagram of the solar system to scale, discover how gravity holds our planet together, and learn why we’re all made of stardust.
- Season-by-season guide to stargazing
- Double-sided star chart covering the northern and southern hemispheres
- Pull-out activities, including "Test Your Eyesight" cards and a “What Do You Weigh on Other Planets?” spinning wheel, plus four sheets of stickers